NOTE: These instructions can also be used for the Epson EMP-S5+ and the Epson EMP-S52 projector.
Step 1: Know when to replace
Watch for the signs that the Epson ELPLP41 needs to be replaced in the Epson EMP-S5 projector:
- Dark image
- Image that has deteriorated
- On warning message appears on screen
- Lamp light flashes orange
- Lamp light turns red and stays lite
- Check Lamp Usage
Step 2: Buy the right lamp
It’s critical to install a genuine Epson ELPLP41 rather than a compatible generic lamps. Although lower in price initially, generic, knock-off lamps end up costing much more in the long run. Counterfeit generic lamp have a shorter lamp life, damage the components in your projector, have poor picture quality and are prone to explosions. You also run the risk of being exposed to the carcinogenic substances such Krypton-85 used in the making of these copycat lamps. Their basic incompatibility may cause damage to the sensitive and sophisticated components in your Epson EMP-S5 projector. These copycat offer no guarantees or refunds and often installing them usually voids your warranty.
Be sure the purchase an authentic Epson ELPLP41 projector lamp for your Epson EMP-S5 projector. Save yourself unnecessary headaches and buy authentic from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Read more about the 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 3: Install the Epson ELPLP41
- Turn power button off wait for light to stop flashing.
- Turn off power swtich on the back of the Epson EMP-S5 projector.
- Unplug the power cord.
- Allow the Epson EMP-S5 projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. Inside of the projector can be very hot since these machines operator under high temperatures and you run the risk of being burned if the projector has not cooled down.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Caution: Don’t touch the screen or the actual bulb with your finger since the oil from your skin can cause a black spot on the bulb.
1. The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson EMP-S5 projector. Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
2. Slide the Epson EMP-S5 projector lamp cover off.
3. Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP41 lamp in place.
4. Grab the Epson ELPLP41 lamp by the two indents on the lamp. Gently remove the lamp.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP41 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
5. Gently insert the Epson ELPLP41 lamp making sure it’s facing the right way.
6. Tighten the screws on the new Epson ELPLP41 lamp.
8. Reset the lamp timer.
Reset the lamp timer on the Epson EMP-S5 projector
Reset the Epson EMP-S5 projector Lamp Replacement Counter only when the Epson ELPLP41 lamp has been replaced.
- Press the MENU button on the remote control. The Lamp Reset Menu will appear.
- Scroll down to the RESET LAMP HOURS. Press ENTER.
- A prompt appears asking if you want to replace the lamp.
- Select YES and press ENTER.
Press MENU to exit.
Prolong the life of the Epson ELPLP41 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP41 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-S5 projector projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life