Change the lamp in your Epson PowerLite W8+ projector in three easy steps.
The regular life expectancy of the Epson ELPLP54 is between 3900 and 4000 hours. You can bump that up to 4900 hours if you switch to ECO mode in the the Power Consumption from the Settings Menu.
Step 1: Check lamp life
Consult the Lamp Usage Screen to find out how much time is left with Epson ELPLP54 lamp:
- Press the MENU button.
- Scroll down to highlight the INFO menu.
- If you have used the projector for less than 10 hours, the hours will be listed at 0H.
Watch for these warning signs on the Epson Powerlite W8+:
- Dark image
- Image that has deteriorated
- “Replace the lamp” warning appears on screen.
- Lamp light flashes orange
Step 2: Buying the right lamp
It’s important to install the correct kind of lamp into your Epson Powerlite W8+ projector so it can continue working at it’s optimum levels. Generic lamps don’t offer the same kind of performance or value — even though they are sold at cheaper prices. Save time and money — buy an authentic Epson ELPLP54 lamp.
6 reasons to avoid generic lamps:
- generics have shorter lamp life than original lamps
- knock off lamps have been created with toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- generic lamps are prone to explosions
- copycat lamps can damage the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds offered with generic lamps.
- Using a counterfeit generic lamp will also void any warranty for your Epson Powerlite W8+ projector.
Learn how to protect yourself with 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 3: Installing the Epson ELPLP54
- Turn power button off and wait for light to stop flashing.
- Turn off power switch on Epson Powerlite W8+ projector.
- Unplug the power cord.
- Allow the Epson Powerlite W8+ projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. These projectors run a high temperatures so you can burn yourself every badly if the projector has not cooled enough before being opened up.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Caution: Don’t touch the screen or the actual bulb with your finger since the oil from your skin can cause a black spot on the bulb.
1. The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson Powerlite W8+ projector. Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
2. Slide the Epson Powerlite W8+ projector lamp cover off.
3. Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP54 lamp in place.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP54 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
5. Gently insert the Epson ELPLP54 lamp making sure it’s facing the right way.
6. Tighten the screws on the new Epson ELPLP54 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
8. Reset the lamp timer.
Reset the lamp timer
Reset the Epson Powerlite W8+ projector Lamp Replacement Counter only when the Epson ELPLP54 lamp has been replaced.
- Press the MENU button on the remote control. The Lamp Reset Menu will appear.
- Scroll down to the RESET LAMP HOURS. Press ENTER.
- A prompt appears asking if you want to RESET LAMP HOURS?
- Select YES and press ENTER.
- Press MENU to exit.
Prolong the life of the Epson ELPLP54 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP54 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson Powerlite W8+ projector projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life