Fix your black or scrambled screen by replacing the T-Con board in your Sony KDL-60EX645 LED TV
Some Sony KDL60EX645 LED TVs are having problems with their Timing Control Board. (T-Con). The small but mighty RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board controls screen pixels as well as the signal to the digital processor in the main board. So, when the T-Con board goes, so does your picture.
Symptoms of a failed T-Con board include half-faded screen, scrambled pixels along with lines and patterns on the screen. The most common problem is no video when the Sony KDL-60EX645 is turned on.
The problem stems from a failure of the 8 pin eprom chip on the lower right side of the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board that interrupts the video signal.
Alternative part numbers
The RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board is also sold under the following numbers:
- RUNTK5261TP (ZE)
- Sharp RUNTK5261TPZE
- CPWBX5261TP (ZE)
- CPWBXRUNTK5261TP (ZE)
Replace the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board
- Antistatic plastic gloves or antistatic bracelet
- Pad/ towel
- Needle-nose pliers
- Electric Flat head and Philips screwdriver
- Cup for screws
- Turn the Sony KDL60EX645 LED TV off. Unplug the power cord.
- Remove the TV from the wall, if mounted.
- Lay the Sony KDL-60EX645 LED TV on a flat, padded surface.
- To remove the TV stand loosen the three main screws holding the stand to the TV.
- Lift up the Sony KDL60EX645 TV so the guide pins are released from the stand.
- Remove all the six screws holding the back panel in place. Put the screws to one side.
- Start along the top corner to safely pop the front bezel from the back cover, Gently work your way around the enter cover.
- Once the back cover and front bezel are removed, place the Sony KDL-60EX645 with screen facing down.
- The RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board is located in the middle top of the Sony KDL60EX645 back panel, usually under an aluminum cover held in place by four corner screws.
- Take the screws out and then remove the top with foil tape at the top.
- You’ll see a black LVDS cable and two flat ribbon cables connecting it to the Main board.
- Remove the ribbon cable first. Flip up the black tabs on the connector. Gently pull the cable out taking care not the scratch the ribbon section. Never use any sharp objects to open the black tabs as this can damage the pins making the connection faulty.
- To remove the LVDS cable, squeeze the small tab on side. Don’t force anything apart or pull anything too hard as this can damage the connections and cause more problems.
- Loosen the screws holding the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board in place. Place it to one side. This board is considered e-waste and should be sent to a recycling facility. Do not place into regular garbage.
- NOTE: Be sure to put on your rubber gloves before touching the new T-Con board. Hold the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board by the edges and avoid touching any of the components since they are very sensitive to electrostatic charges.
- Verify the manufacturers number for your board. (It will be found under the bar code.) Place the new board onto the back panel.
- To re-install the ribbon cable: Match the line on the ribbon cable with the edge of the connector making sure the ribbon is straight. Press down on the tab to lock it into place.
- Re-connect the LVDS cable by putting the connector end into the RUNTK5261TPZC T-Con board until it clicks into place.
- Tighten the screws on the board. Replace any foil tape.
- Replace the RUNTK5261TPZC T-Con cover. Tighten the screws.
- Place the back cover back onto the Sony KDL-60EX645 TV and tighten all the screws.
- Re-install the stand and post.
Troubleshooting the Sony KDL60EX645
Once you turn the Sony KDL-60EX645 TV back on you may not have a picture but may see the amber light blinking and green blinking. This indicates you need to get a firmware update. (Note: Your TVs must already have an established Internet connection).
- Press HOME. Select Internet Browser to launch the browser.
- Go to the support page for your KDL-60EX645 model at esupport.sony.com
- Go to the Drivers and Software section
- Choose Firmware. Click on the download button to activate the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade has been completed, turn the Sony KDL60EX645 on and then back on again.