Follow this 3-step guide for replacing the lamp in your Epson PowerLite 835 projector.
Be sure to buy an authentic Epson ELPLP31 lamp from a recognized dealer.
How many hours are left?
Your Epson ELPLP31 lamp will last between 2000 to 3000 hours depending on the Brightness Control settings. A high setting will give you much less time (2000 hours or less) than a low brightness setting (3000 hours). Find out how many hours the Epson ELPLP31 lamp has been in use by pressing the MENU button and highlighting the INFO menu
Replacement warnings signs:
Look for these replacement warning signs on your Warning signs for lamp replacement in the Epson PowerLite 835 projector:
- Dark image.
- Image that has deteriorated.
- Color in image that appears off.
- “Replace the lamp” warning flashing on screen.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
NOTE: If the Lamp light turns red the Epson ELPLP31 lamp is burnt out and should be replaced immediately.
Buying the right lamp
With their bargain prices and easy availability, generic lamps can be a real temptation. However, generic lamps are not a bargain in the long run due to their inferior workmanship. They can seriously damage the optics in your Epson Powerlite 835 since they have not been calibrated properly. Generic, compatible lamps also don’t last the full 2000 hours. Probably the most alarming aspect of these generic so-called “compatible lamps are the health hazard they pose.
Copy cat manufacturers don’t have the resources to buy the proper materials so they resort to using substitutes such as the carcinogenic Krypton-85, a chemical linked to cancer. Avoid all these problems PLUS keep the warranty on your Epson Powerlite 835 projector valid.
Step 3: Install the Epson ELPLP31
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off wait for light to stop flashing.
- Unplug the power cord on the Epson PowerLite 835.
- Allow the Epson PowerLite 835 projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. These projectors run a high temperatures so you can burn yourself very badly if the projector has not cooled enough before being opened up.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson PowerLite 835 projector. Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
Slide the Epson PowerLite 835 projector lamp cover off.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP31 lamp in place.
Grab the Epson ELPLP31 by the side indents and gently pull the lamp out. Take care not to bang the bulb as this may cause it to shatter. Learn what to do should when the lamp breaks inside the projector.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP31 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP31 lamp into the Epson PowerLite 835 projector.
Tighten the screws on the Epson ELPLP31 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw on the Epson ELPLP31 projector lamp cover.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson Powerlite 835 Lamp Timer
The Epson PowerLite 835 has a lamp timer that tracks the number of hours left for the Epson ELPLP31 before it reaches end of life. Every time you install a new Epson ELPLP31 lamp you must reset the lamp timer to zero. Don’t use the Epson ELPLP31 lamp beyond its recommended usage as this can damages the Epson PowerLite 835 projector.
- Press the MENU button on either the remote control or on the projector’s control panel.
- Scroll down to the RESET option.
- Press Enter
- Select LAMP-HOURS RESET.
- Press ENTER to open the prompt screen
- Press Yes.
- Lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- Press MENU to return to the screen.
Make the Epson ELPLP31 last longer
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP31 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 835 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life