Be sure to buy an authentic Epson ELPLP31 lamp from a recognized dealer and replacing the lamp in your Epson PowerLite 835p will be snap. Follow this handy guide.
Step 1: Be prepared with the right lamp
With their bargain prices and easy availability, generic lamps can be a real temptation. However, generic lamps are plagued with problems that may them a poor choice despite the great price tag. The main reason to avoid these so-called compataible, generic lamps include:
- inferior workmanship means a inferior product
- unable to be calibrated properly they can seriously damage the optics in your Epson PowerLite 835p.
- don’t last the full 2000 hours.
- present a serious health hazard due to their toxic materials.
- void the warranty on your Epson PowerLite 835p projector.
Step 2: When to replace
Your Epson ELPLP31 lamp will last between 2000 to 3000 hours depending on the Brightness Control settings. A high setting will give you much less time (2000 hours or less) than a low brightness setting (3000 hours). Find out how many hours the Epson ELPLP31 lamp has been in use by pressing the MENU button and highlighting the INFO menu.
Look for these replacement warning signs on your Warning signs for lamp replacement in the Epson PowerLite 835p projector:
- Dark image.
- Image that has deteriorated.
- Color in image that appears off.
- “Replace the lamp” warning flashing on screen.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
NOTE: If the Lamp light turns red the Epson ELPLP31 lamp is burnt out and should be replaced immediately.
Step 3: Install the Epson ELPLP31
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off wait for light to stop flashing.
- Unplug the power cord on the Epson PowerLite 835p.
- Allow the Epson PowerLite 835p projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. These projectors run a high temperatures so you can burn yourself very badly if the projector has not cooled enough before being opened up.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
- The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson PowerLite 835p projector. Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
- Slide the Epson PowerLite 835p projector lamp cover off.
- Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP31 lamp in place.
- Grab the Epson ELPLP31 by the side indents and gently pull the lamp out.
- Take care not to bang the bulb as this may cause it to shatter. Learn what to do should when the lamp breaks inside the projector.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP31 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
- Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP31 lamp into the Epson PowerLite 835p projector.
- Tighten the screws on the Epson ELPLP31 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
- Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw on the Epson ELPLP31 projector lamp cover.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson Powerlite 835p Lamp Timer
The Epson PowerLite 835p has a lamp timer that automatically tracks the number of hours left for the Epson ELPLP31 to let you know when it’s time for a replacement lamp. So, every time you change the Epson ELPLP31 lamp you need to reset the lamp replacement timer.
- Press the MENU button on either the remote control or on the projector’s control panel.
- Scroll down to the RESET option.
- Press Enter
- Select LAMP-HOURS RESET.
- Press ENTER to open the prompt screen
- Press Yes.
- Lamp hours will be reset to zero.
- Press MENU to return to the screen.
Make the Epson ELPLP31 last longer
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP31 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson PowerLite 835p projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life