Replacing the lamp in the Epson EMP-1705 is a breeze when you follow this step-by-step guide.
STEP 1: End of life warnings
Tracking lamp life
The Epson EMP-1700 projector uses Epson ELPLP38. The life span of the Epson ELPLP38 is 2000 hours when Brightness Control is set to High (which is the default) or 3000 hours if the Brightness Control is set to Low.
Know the warning signs
When the Epson ELPLP38 is approaching end of life you’ll start to see warnings signs:
- A screen that is gradually dimming or deteriorating.
- Colour in the image appears dark or off colour.
- “Replace the lamp” warning flashing on screen.
- Lamp light flashing a steady orange.
Replace the Epson ELPLP38 lamp immediately so you don’t run the risk of having the lamp explode in the Epson EMP-1705 projector.
STEP 2: Buy authentic
What’s the difference between an authentic Epson ELPLP38 and a generic lamp? Quality, price and reliability!
With their bargain prices and easy availability, generic lamps can be a real temptation. However, inferior workmanship means a inferior product, that doesn’t last the full 2000 hours making generics a poor choice despite the great price tag. These lamps can’t be calibrated properly and they they can seriously damage the optics in your Epson EMP-1705. But the main reason to avoid generic lamps are the health hazard they pose due to their toxic materials.
STEP 3: Replacing the Epson ELPLP38 lamp
Before installation follow these important safety tips:
- Turn power button off and after the Epson EMP-1705 has beeped twice unplug the power cord.
- The Epson EMP-1705 should be cool to the touch. DO NOT attempt to change the Epson ELPLP38 if the projector is still hot. You can be badly burned if you don’t wait for the projector to cool.
IMPORTANT: Do not operate the projectors the lamps is removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Loosen the screws on the Epson EMP-1705 projector using the screwdriver provided.
Slide the cover towards you until it’s off the runners. Lift and remove the cover on the Epson EMP-1705 projector.
Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP38 lamp in place.
Grab the side indents and gently lift the Epson ELPLP38 lamp out of the Epson EMP-1705 projector. Don’t use excessive force or the lamp could break. Read about what to do if lamp breaks inside the projector.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP38 lamp contains mercury and needs to be properly recycled. Don’t thrown the used lamp into your regular garbage. Contact your authentic manufacturer and they can assist you in getting the lamp to the right recycling facility.
Gently insert the new Epson ELPLP38 lamp into the Epson EMP-1705 projector. Avoid touching the actual lamp since your fingerprints will cause black out spots to appear when the projector starts working.
Tighten the screws on the Epson ELPLP38 lamp. Be sure not to tighten too much or the lamp may not work.
Replace the Epson EMP-1705 projector lamp cover and tighten the screw on the lamp cover.
You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the Epson EMP-1705 Lamp Timer
It’s important to reset the Epson EMP-1705 has a lamp timer each time a new lamp is installed so the projector can accurately track the Epson ELPLP38. Never use the Epson ELPLP38 lamp beyond its recommended usage as this can damage the Epson EMP-1705 projector beyond repair.
- Press the MENU button on either the remote control or on the projector’s control panel.
- Scroll down to the RESET option. Press Enter to bring up the reset screen.
- Scroll down to RESET LAMP HOURS.
- A second prompt screen will appear asking for confirmation. Scroll over to the YES option. Press ENTER.
- Press MENU to exit.
Extending the life of your Epson ELPLP38 lamp
Follow this simple tips to make your Epson ELPLP38 lamp last even longer:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-1705 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours.
- An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Set the Brightness Mode to low.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life