Step 1: Lamp hour notifications
Watch for the signs that the Epson ELPLP42 needs to be replaced in the Epson EMP-83 projector:
- Dark image
- Image that has deteriorated
- On warning message appears on screen
- Lamp light flashes orange
Step 2: Buy your lamp
There are a lot of choices for your Epson ELPLP42 lamp but only one correct lamp to get. In order to keep your Epson EMP-83 working at its optimum levels and to prevent damage, you’ll want to buy an authentic projector lamp. Internet is flooded with companies offering “generic” compatible lamps. Although they seem like a bargain, these should be avoided. They have some very serious flaws:
- generic have a much shorter lamp life than OEM lamps
- copycat lamps are often created with toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- compatible lamps are prone to explosions
- generic lamps are not calibrated properly and can the sensitive electronics in projectors
- copycat manufacturers offer no guarantee or refunds
- the warranty on your Epson EMP-83 projector will become void.
Learn how to spot the copycat fake lamps with 7 Ways to Spot a Counterfeit Lamp.
Step 3: Install the Epson ELPLP42
- Turn off power switch on the back of the Epson EMP-83 projector.
- After you turn off the projector’s power and the confirmation buzzer beeps twice, disconnect the power cable
- Allow the Epson EMP-83 projector to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. Inside of the projector can be very hot since these machines operator under high temperatures and you run the risk of being burned if the projector has not cooled down.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
1. The lamp cover is found on top of the Epson EMP-83 projector. Loosen the lamp cover screw — you can’t remove it only loosen it.
2. Slide the Epson EMP-83 projector lamp cover off.
3. Loosen the two screws holding the Epson ELPLP42 lamp in place.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP42 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost (another reason to buy authentic lamps).
5. Gently insert the Epson ELPLP42 lamp making sure it’s facing the right way. NOTE: Don’t touch the screen or the actual bulb with your finger since the oil from your skin can cause a black spot on the bulb.
6. Tighten the screws on the new Epson ELPLP42 lamp.
7. Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw on the Epson EMP-83 projector lamp cover.
8. Reset the lamp timer.
Reset the lamp timer on the Epson EMP-83 projector
Reset the Epson EMP-83 projector Lamp Replacement Counter only when the Epson ELPLP42 lamp has been replaced.
- Press the MENU button on the remote control. The Lamp Reset Menu will appear.
- Scroll down to the RESET. Press ENTER.
- Click on RESET ALL.
- A prompt appears asking if you want to replace the lamp.
- Select YES and press ENTER.
- Press MENU to exit.
Prolong the life of the Epson ELPLP42 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP42 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-83 projector and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life