Note: Your Knoll HT201 uses the Knoll 28-631 lamp.
After 1000 hours of use, the Knoll 28-631 lamp will need to be replaced as it is approaching end of life. The STATUS indicator will light up red and the LAMP USAGE icon will display on screen. At 1100 hours, the projector will freeze and the power switch will stop working. The menus will also disappear. To turn off the projector, press the remote control POWER OFF for a least 10 seconds in the standby mode. Replace the lamp IMMEDIATELY.
Don’t get caught
Be sure to check your lamp usage so you know when to replace and have time to purchase a new Knoll 28-631 lamp for your Knoll HT201 projector. To check for lamp usage: 1. Press MENU to display the main menu. 2. Press the cursor left/right arrows to select the INFORMATION menu. 3. The lamp usage in hours is displayed.
Why buy authentic OEM lamps?
Buying a cheaper priced generic “compatible” lamp may be tempting. However, you get what you pay for and in the case of generic lamps it’s usually a long list of problems:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- incompatibility causing damage to the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no guarantee or refunds
Save yourself unnecessary headaches and buy an authentic Knoll 28-631 from a recognized dealer. You’ll be getting a far superior product with a replacement guarantee and tech support.
Installing the new Knoll 28-631
Before installing the new Knoll 28-631:
- Switch off the main power and unplug the power cord on the projector.
- The Knoll HT201 operates under high heat and there is a burn danger if the projector has not cooled down. Wait at least one hour for the projector to cool before trying to replace the lamp.
- The lamp cover is located on the bottom of the Knoll HT201. Gently turn the projector over and place it on a soft surface to prevent scratching.
- Loosen the screen holding the cover in place.
- To remove the lamp cover: Slide it towards the middle of the projector and then upwards.
- Loosen the three screws holding the Knoll 28-631 lamp securely in the projector.
- Using the handle, gently lift the lamp up out of the projector.
- Be careful not to bang the lamp as this may cause it to break.
- If the old Knoll 28-631 lamp has exploded or broken, you must clean the old lamp up before installing the new lamp. Read how to do a clean-up.
NOTE: The Knoll 28-631 lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost
- Remove the new Knoll 28-631 lamp from its packaging and using the handle, lower the lamp into the Knoll HT201 projector.
- Take care not to touch the actual 28-631 bulb. Oil from your fingers will stay on the bulb and cause black spots to be burned into the lamp as it heats up. This can result in black spots showing up on screen.
- Tighten the three screws keeping the lamp in place.
- Replace the lamp cover and tighten the screw holding it in place.
- Re-connect the power cord and turn on the projector.
- You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Resetting the lamp use hours
The Knoll HT201 has a built in timer that tracks the number of lamp use hours. This lamp timer triggers the warning messages when the Knoll 28-631 lamp is reaching end of life. Anytime the lamp is replaced, you need to reset the lamp timer. You need to reset the lamp use hours to zero after replacing the lamp housing. 1. Press MENU to display the main menu. 2. Press the cursor left/right arrows to select the INFORMATION menu. 3. Press the up/down arrows to select RESET. Press ENTER. 4. Lamp hours will be reset to zero. Extend the life of the Knoll 28-631 by reading the Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.