Step 1: Be prepared
You’ll want to install an authentic Epson ELPLP49 lamp to keep your Epson EMP-6500UB projector working properly and to get the best picture quality. Although cheaper at first, generic knock-off lamps actually cost you more money for the following reasons:
- shorter lamp life than original lamps
- created with toxic materials and carcinogenic parts including Krypton-85
- prone to explosions
- damage the sensitive electronics in your projectors
- no safeguards to protect your eyesight
- installing a generic lamp voids your projector’s warranty.
Learn the 7 Ways to spot a counterfeit lamp.
NOTE: These instructions can also be used for the Ensemble HD Home Cinema 6500.
Step 2: Learn the warning signs
Watch for the signs that it’s time to replace the Epson ELPLP49 projector lamp:
- The projector image gets darker and starts to deteriorate.
- The projector lamp flashes red.
- The warning message REPLACE THE LAMP appears on screen.
A replacement warning message will also appear on screen. You can expect 3900 hours of lamp life depending on the settings and usage.
Step 3: Install a new Epson ELPLP49 projector lamp
- Turn power button off wait for light to stop flashing
- Turn off power switch on the back of the Epson EMP-6500 UB projector
- Unplug the power cord
- Allow the Epson EMP-6500 UB to cool for one hour – it should be cool to the touch. Inside of the projector can be very hot since these machines operator under high temperatures and you run the risk of being burned if the projector has not cooled down.
- Do not operate the projectors while any of the lamps are removed as this may result in malfunctions, fire hazard and other accidents.
Caution: Don’t touch the screen or the actual bulb with your finger since the oil from your skin can cause a black spot on the bulb.
1. The lamp cover for the Epson EMP-6500 UB is found on top of the projector. Take the screwdriver that came with the projector and put it into opening on the lamp cover to release the cover switch. Remove the projector lamp cover.
2. Remove the two screws on either side of Epson ELPLP49 projector lamp. Place the screws to either side.
3. Pull the projector lamp out using the top handle. Be sure to pull it out straight. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. Learn what to do should the bulb shatter.
NOTE: The Epson ELPLP49 projector lamp contains mercury and should not be thrown into regular garbage. Recycle your used lamps! If you bought from an authentic manufacturer they will recycle the lamp for you at no extra cost.
4, Take the new Epson ELPLP49 lamp by the handle and gently put it into place making sure the lamp is facing in the right direction.
5. Replace the Epson ELPLP49 screws on the newly installed projector lamp.
6. Re-connect the projector lamp cover. Tighten the screws on the cord and turn on the Epson EMP-6500 UB projector.
Reset the Lamp Operating time.
Reset the Epson Lamp Timer
Reset the Epson EMP-6500 UB Lamp Replacement Counter only when the Epson ELPLP49 lamp has been replaced.
- Turn the Epson EMP-6500 UB
- Press MENU to display the configuration menu.
- Press the down arrow to move down the menu to the Reset option.
- Press Enter to enter the Reset Menu.
- Press the down arrow to move down the menu to the Reset Lamp Hours option.
- Press Enter.
- When the Reset Lamp Hour option has been chosen the Reset Lamp Hours message will appear.
- Use the cursor to move to the YES option.
- Press Enter to reset the lamp hours to zero.
Prolong the life of the Epson ELPLP49 lamp:
Extend the life of the newly installed Epson ELPLP49 with the following tips:
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Turn off the Epson EMP-6500 UB and let it stand for at least one hour ever 24 hours. An average use of four to five hours per day will ensure longer lamp life.
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life